Food for (Re)Fuel: Baked Apple OatmealJuly 16, 2008 at 9:50 am | Posted in Food, Nutrition, Other, Rice, Quinoa, and Other Grains | Leave a comment
I’ve been eating a lot less oatmeal now that it’s so hot and humid outside, but this morning I decided to make one of my favorite oatmeal combinations: oatmeal, Cracklin Oat Bran cereal, and apple. Here’s my method:
- Mix 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats, 1/3 cup soy milk, 1/3 cup water, lots of cinnamon, and most of a chopped Red Delicious.
- Microwave for 1 min. 30 sec.
- Stir and add 1/3 cup Cracklin Oat Bran.
- Microwave 1 min. Go do ART home exercises while waiting for it to finish and cool down.
- Stir in a small spoonful of plain yogurt to cool it more and make it nice and creamy.
I also like to do this with banana, but I add that later in the nuking process because it doesn’t need as much time to cook as apple. Cracklin Oat Bran, while full of fiber, has a bit too much sugar to be considered a very healthy breakfast cereal. However it’s great in oatmeal because it breaks up and adds a nice cinnamony (yes, a word) sweetness to the whole bowl.
Nutrition of this Meal
It contains 5 foods on the World’s Healthiest Foods list:
It contains 2 foods on the Best Food for Runners list:
- Whole grain cereal