Why Does Jess Run?
I hope to add to this list as running continues to enrich my life. Feel free to add your own reasons in the comments section.
- to lead a longer, happier life
- to feel good, both short term and long
- to relieve stress
- to think more clearly
- to be outside
- to test my body
- to test my mind
- to be a nicer person to be around
- to look good (yes, I admit the vanity)
- to eat more pizza and cookies (yes, I admit this too)
- for “me time”
- for the “runner’s high”
- to be a runner and part of the running community
- to improve myself
- because I enjoy competition (once in a while)
- because I don’t like sitting
- because there’s nothing on tv anyway
And because this is how I want it all to end:
Descendant A: Great-great-great-great Grandma Jess died today.
Descendant B: Really!? What happened?
Descendant A: She got eaten by a mountain lion on her 10-mile tempo run.
Descendant B: Wow, I guess we won’t be getting any more cookies.
Descendant A: I know, sucks. I also volunteered you to clean out her old running shoes closet. Oh, and all you got in the Will is her collection of antique racing bib safety pins. So have fun with that.